Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pass

Today was phenomenally reassuring that I'm doing what I want to be doing with my life. I got to teach at my alma mater and then play with Merci (Meredith Clemons.. experimenting with this new nickname) before teaching an evening class. She asked me to choreograph a solo for audition/application stuff. In preparation, I went through some old videos of the two of us improvising. I picked out some of my favorite snippets that she did, strung them together, and taught her that phrase. It felt like such a cool gift to be able to give her a phrase that actually came from her. All I did was string together the pieces. From there we added some more snippets, and structured a beginning/middle/end. I titled it "Pass" because
-the song seems to fade in and fade out like a passing thought or daydream or memory
-as I watched/filmed her, I felt like I was passing by the scene and then continuing on with my life (as if walking down the street, seeing something, watching, then carrying onward)
-we started choreographing breath, and breath with each inhale and exhale has a passing to it

I have to mention that all of this came together in about 1 hour. ONLY ONE HOUR! super inspiring. I could do this forever!

music: "California Open Back" by Gregory Alan Isakov

watch "Pass" on YouTube

Isn't she beautiful!!?

No comments:

Post a Comment